Include schoolmetrics
Can TrainingPeaks integrate questionnaires and school-related metrics (weekly schedules, exam periods, deadlines, etc.) to subjectively assess the cognitive load of student-athletes and combine it with their physical training load, in order to better manage their dual career?
Context:
I am a cycling trainer and coach and have developed a talent development programme, including working with athletes such as Puck Pieterse. I am currently pursuing a Master’s degree in Sport and Movement Innovation at HAN University of Applied Sciences, the Netherlands.
My innovation project focuses on measuring the cognitive load associated with school and screen time among young athletes and combining this with their physical training load.
By incorporating school schedules, exam periods, deadlines, and questionnaires on perceived stress and cognitive load, I aim to create a more holistic picture of the total load experienced by young student-athletes. This could provide insight into their overall allostatic load and help coaches, athletes, parents and schools better support the balance between education and elite sport—the dual career.